GRAND MEADOW JUNIOR HIGH CHOIR SYLLABUS 2016-2017
Seventh and Eighth Grade will meet separately for choir but will perform together for Concerts.
The Course-“…Singing is only 25% notes…”
This class meets daily to practice ear training, music reading, and to rehearse. In order for you to get the most out of this class, participation is required on a daily basis. There will be no group or individual voice lessons for the junior high. Evaluations will take place once per quarter during class periods. Students are expected to use their ipads for practicing and for recording themselves.
Grading is as follows:
Daily Rehearsals 30%
Written Assignments or ipad recordings 10%
Voice Evaluations 20%
“To be early is to be on time; to be on time is to be late; to be late is unacceptable.”
Performances “All music must dance”
- Be on time. If you need to know what I mean by that, read the information above.
- Participate. If there is a valid reason you are unable to participate, please bring a note from a parent or guardian. You will still be expected to sit in on the rehearsal, take notes and listen silently. The major emphasis is on vocal development and music comprehension and the study of a variety of choral repertoire. Students perform at concerts and graduation. Students are encouraged to participate in the Solo/Ensemble contest in March.
- Be Respectful. Show respect for everyone in the room and their belongings.
- No food or drink during rehearsal. Water is acceptable but you are responsible for cleaning up any spills. Eating a snack is not allowed during school time. Do this before coming to class.
- Cell phones are not permitted to be out during class. Cell phones will be collected at the beginning of class and kept in a secure area. They will be returned at the end of class
- Attend all performances. Senior High Choir is a performing arts group. Concert attendance is mandatory. Parents need to pay special attention to the concert dates and plan activities around them. These dates are set well in advance of the school year and missing a concert can affect the entire ensemble.
- Dress requirements: Black trousers (not sweatpants), black shoes, black socks or nylons. White blouse/shirt. Boys-ties; girls may wear a scarf, but this is optional.
December 12 Choir/Band Concert Gym 7:00 p.m.
March 16 Choir/Band Concert Gym 7:00 p.m.
(Possible spring performance. In the past, the junior choir presented a mini-musical to the elementary during the day. This will be determined at a later time.)